Israelis mark two-year anniversary of 7 October attacks as Palestinian ceasefire talks advance
People have gathered across the country to mark two years since the Hamas-conducted attack on that fateful day in October 2023, as negotiations proceeded in the neighboring country over a resolution to the war in Gaza.
The incident led to in excess of 1,200 people dead and 251 others abducted back to Gaza as hostages. It was the most most fatal day for Jewish people since the Holocaust.
Israel answered by beginning a defensive operation in Gaza which has taken more than 67,000 people, according to the territory's Hamas-run health ministry. Its figures are considered accurate by the UN and other global organizations.
"The aggressive adversaries have hit us hard, but they have not overcome us," Benjamin Netanyahu remarked on Tuesday.
He also vowed to "realize all the goals of the war: the homecoming of all the captured, the removal of the Hamas government and the guarantee that Gaza will not create a risk to Israel".
Memorial Ceremonies Across Israel
The national leadership rescheduled formal memorials until October 16th - after the end of the festive season - but events still occurred around the country on that day.
A commemorative event for the families of people killed in the Hamas attack was organized in Tel Aviv. Put together by the families themselves, it was aired on Israeli TV networks.
Some time earlier, a silent tribute was observed around the country.
Ceasefire Meetings in Egypt
Simultaneously, both sides' representatives gathered in the North African tourist destination of the negotiation venue for a continuing round of indirect talks to examine the provisions of the plan.
A prominent Palestinian official knowledgeable about the talks revealed that an late session of indirect talks began at 19:00 Cairo time.
The source said the earlier meeting ended without significant progress, because of disagreements over the recommended Israeli withdrawal maps from Gaza and over guarantees Hamas seeks to make certain Israel does not restart hostilities after the first phase of the deal.
He commented that the negotiations are "tough and have still not deliver any real breakthrough," but mentioned that intermediaries are striving to close the differences between the conflicting groups.
Essential Issues in Negotiations
- A lasting truce
- The swap of the prisoners still detained by Hamas for Palestinian prisoners from Gaza
- The removal of troops from Gaza
- Measures for humanitarian aid distribution
- Future management of the region
Civilian Feeling
In Tel Aviv's memorial area previously, 29-year-old Hagar - whose family member lived through the incident on the outdoor event, where hundreds were murdered and numerous more were abducted by Hamas fighters - told: "No place appears as home anymore and until all the hostages return not a single person will be secure."
"After we see all home once more, we can relax again. Then we can start to heal," she added.
Near Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's residence in the capital, people congregated to demonstrate their support for the relatives of the abducted. Israel states 48 remain in confinement in Gaza, 20 of whom are believed to be surviving.
Protester Atalia Regev remarked: "We must do whatever arrangement needed for the hostages to return. But we really want promises that we will be secure."
Surveys now frequently demonstrate that around the majority of Israeli citizens desire the war to conclude in as payment for the freedom of the captives.
Gaza Situation
At the location of Nova festival, grieving people gathered to honor the dead.
From there, the sound of Israeli air strikes and explosions could be noticed just a brief space away in Gaza, where observers said the heavy Israeli attacks persisted.
In the main city, attacks were documented in the morning of Tuesday in the western district, area and zone districts and in the eastern area of that sector, as well the settlement to the northwest.
"As the night falls, the fear appears with it," displaced urban resident a local woman, whose young son was died by an Israeli bombing earlier, explained.
"Me and my three children are afraid of the bombings. Throughout the evening we are lying together, clinging, particularly my smallest child who places his face on me the entire evening."
"Constantly we monitor the news to see developments. And I'm worried that this halt will not be finalized and that the conflict will resume to us."
Health Crisis
The healthcare center in Gaza City reported it had received the corpses of six people by the daytime, including a trio who died in an Israeli attack in the southern al-Sabra neighbourhood.
Another medical facility in the southern city of Khan Younis indicated additional victims had been brought there. A person was died by Israeli forces while seeking help to the south region, medical staff said.
The region's health ministry said a significant number of the {territ